Wednesday 2 May 2012

Wearing the curtains ...

So here I am, following in a long tradition (The Sound of Music,  Gone with the Wind) making good use of the home furnishings for dress fabric. I bought this fabric years ago, I think from an old Remnant Kings shop now closed. Deciding that sadly it was a little too loud to wear I made it into covers for two huge cushions which were enhancing a DIY sofa arrangement. The sofa has long gone, and the cushion covers got stowed away on the linen shelves, where I found them again last autumn, and thought 'what the hell, I always wanted a dress in this fabric really', and went ahead and made the Coffee Date Dress from the Burda site, minus the ruffle. I had to darn a couple of thin patches in the fabric, and determined to stick to the 'make-do-and-mend' spirit of the dress I pieced the lining together from two odd scraps. My family are very rude about this dress, and it probably does look like I'm 'wearing the curtains', but I love it ... it's comfy and cheerful and goes with lots of my cardigans and t shirts and generally makes me happy!
(Even at 6.50 am about to leave for work ...)













No comments:

Post a Comment